Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
What will you do at Ciena?
This role is focused on new graduated or early in career engineers.
You will work as a Systems Engineer part of Global System Engineering Support Center to support NA and CALA Customer Projects & Bid Activity.
The role of the candidate will be mainly to improve efficiency in GSES internal processes wherever possible, and to take on requests from Sales Engineers in which automation of a repetitive process plays a substantial part.
The candidate is expected to work closely with Regional Sales Engineering teams to understand the Customer needs and propose viable specific and alternate Ciena Solutions to meet the requirements.
Candidate must also have proficiency on Network Design tools to evaluate options and determine and propose the best solutions matching the customer needs.
The Candidate should be familiar with presentation tools and skilled in creating customer proposals, creating and delivering customer presentations.
What we are looking for?
The right candidate must have the hunger to continuously learn, develop, implement, support and automate industry leading technologies and solutions in the areas of networking and network management. You must be a self-motivated engineer with the ability to plan and execute a technical project end-to-end. You must have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn then adjust quickly to overcome technical and business process challenges.
Who you’ll be working with?
This role supports the North America and CALA Customer Projects and Bid Activity focused on Ciena’s solutions.
It’s a Key contributing member of the Ciena’s Global System Engineering Support center.
You’ll collaborate across Sales Engineers, R&D;, IT and many other teams. Reporting to the Leader GSES Americas organization.
- Author and contribute in software design, development, validation, and documentation to deliver high quality, functionally excellent products.
- Interface with Systems Engineering in understanding and reviewing requirements as needed.
- Working with regional Sales and System Engineering teams to determine the best technical solutions for customers across North America and CALA, the candidate will participate in creating, Solutions, carrying out engineering & Planning, Creating BoQ, Compliance Statements and Quotes as well as customer pricing schedule submissions. The role is also responsible for providing Solution Consultancy and building intelligence around our go to market offerings.
- Must be able to understand customer requirements, RFP technical specs, convert into a cost-effective solution with constant focus on delivering the value of Ciena’s market leading packet-optical and Software portfolio. Desirable to have experience of customer presentations, and an understanding of customer networks and services.
- SW Programming and Automation of key workflows.
- Solution Comparisons:Support the regional sales and SE’s with analysis and comparisons of various technical Solutions.
- Design tool planning and validation:Perform Solution Design Simulations and Link Engineering to validate the Network Designs on Ciena proprietary Network Design tools.
- RFP SupportSelf-sufficient to work on various RFx deliverables such as Link Engineered Design, BOQ, Product SOC responses and Technical Solution Documents/Presentations.
- Construct the Solution pricing schedules as part of RFP responses.
- Collect the trends in solutions and technology and share relevant insights with PLM and SE leadership teams.
- Customer Presentations: Presenting solutions to the customers and answer relevant questions.
- Business travel is required, the quantum will be low to medium
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent.
- High level of English proficiency (C1 preferred).
- Technical knowledge in Software Programming, Networking (Packet and Optical), and Network Management (SDN, Virtualization, Orchestration and Analytics).
- Deadline driven and willing to work outside normal hours to complete tasks.
- Ability to understand customer needs and use technical expertise to develop customer solutions.
- Ability to work in matrix organization
- Outstanding team player
- Good communication skills, creativity and high energy.
- Must have excellent written and presentation skills
- Must also have strong interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, algorithms & design.
- Proficiency on general programming languages, preferable “Python” programming skills.
- Solid understanding of Linux internals and OS concepts.
- Experience on Excel VBA.
- Knowledge of XML and JSON.
- Familiarity with REST based API framework (Postman).
- Requirement analysis, design, coding, testing, and documentation skills.
Desirable knowledge or experience in (a plus – not mandatory):
- At least 2-4 years of experience in telecommunications industry with a particular focus on System/Sales Engineering operations.
- Working knowledge or at a minimum exposure to Design tools used for Network design planning and Link Engineering.
- Cloud environments (e.g., Docker, VMWare, AWS, Kubernetes, OpenStack, etc.,)
- Basic understanding of TOSCA Modeling
- Knowledge of databases, preferably Cassandra, with emphasis on DB Design and implementing optimized DB queries.
- Candidates with knowledge of micro-service architecture using Containers like Docker would be preferred.
- Candidates with knowledge of NMS/EMS and/or Telecom Systems would be preferred.
- Hands on experience in automating workflows, integration tests etc.
- Interest and ability to quickly learn and ramp-up on new languages and technologies
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.