Heroku operates the world’s largest PaaS cloud, continuously delivering millions of apps with 6+ million container deployments, 16+ billion routing requests, and 10+ terabytes of application logs per day. Our vision is for developers to focus on their applications and leave operations to us.
We work in small groups who are heartfelt about our users’ problems. We plan weekly, chat daily and work closely together. Our team is a remote community with members excited to work together on challenging distributed systems problems. Equality is a core value for Salesforce; it's at the heart of everything we do and strive to be. That means Equal Opportunity, Equal Advancement and Equal Pay for all.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We hope you are passionate about joining our community of engineers who love to learn, work, and operate a gigantic distributed system, build and sustain a remote culture and help grow and mentor other engineers.
Examples of recent work Web Services engineers have done at Heroku
- Improving customer trust: Integrated Heroku authentication with an internal shared service providing multi-factor authentication (MFA) that will ultimately allow all of our customers to select from a variety of verification methods.
- Core infrastructure scaling and growth: Investigating missing metrics necessary to ensure the safe ongoing operations of our most critical internal services and to help us plan to scale well into the future.
- Incident response: coordinated with several other Heroku teams to design and implement automation to combat an ongoing Denial of Service (DoS) attack
- Delivering features to customers: API changes, business logic, and API calls to downstream internal services to allow ACM apps to have an arbitrary number of custom domains instead of the previous limit of 100
Profiles relevant to us would feature
- 3+ years in a full-time, professional software engineering role
- Experience developing production software in Ruby
- Experience writing SQL queries including complex JOIN statements
- Experiencing maintaining and enhancing RESTful APIs
- Experience deploying, operating and supporting critical production systems
- Enthusiasm for learning new languages, frameworks, and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with geographically distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- Maintaining and operating a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)
- Maintaining and operating a distributed system operating at thousands of requests per second
- Experience debugging HTTP request-response cycles in a distributed system
- Tuning SQL queries for performance
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience deploying and operating services on Heroku
- Writing queries in Splunk
Accommodations - If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this